Timely Active Literacy Skill Development @ TALSD.ORG
Mission: To build literacy related tools for all children for/from ages 2 through 10 and develop programs for children who live in low income households so that they will have real access of the literacy tools that are available for them.
The issue: In spite of all the resources available in the USA, our education system consistently ranks 19th in the world.
Read the following facts:
Research by Betty Hart and Todd R. Ridley documented in the article, The Early Catastrophe**
the average child raised in a professional family household has 45 million word experiences compared to a child raised in welfare family, who has 13 million word experiences
NCES.ed.gov data for percent of students in US that qualify to receive free or reduced lunch:
School year 2000-2001 38.3%
School year 2010-2011 48.1%
34% of children enter kindergarten unprepared
65% of 4th grades read below level
37% students graduate high school at or above reading proficiency.
Now that you have the facts:
Are you convinced that we need to provide children, especially those living in welfare households, the tools and resources they need in order to be prepared for kindergarten?
An attainable “word experience” goal for each 4 year old child living in the US is 30 million plus. When "30m+web4" is achieved, the US education system will rank in the top 10 countries in the world and the children will grow into adults prepared to thrive.
As the Executive Director of TALSD, I will provide the vision and leadership while recruiting highly competent and self motivated talent who believe that all children need a solid literacy foundation so they have an opportunity to fulfill their potential.
Develop 21st century digital media literacy development tools for children ages 2-10 and programs that are partnered with the public sector, nonprofits, and for-profits.
The Tools TALSD will develop:
- Two reading and two writing tools for both pre readers and for k-3 children.
- Reading tool for ages 2 through 5 that focuses on learning ways to actively read so that reading is viewed as entertainment. The tool will be a massive video library of the most diverse group of people mentoring ways on “how to read” for enjoyment.
- A writing tool for ages 2 through 5 that is extremely visual and audible that focuses on kids learning to recognize “sight words”, words that are not spelled phonetically and thus must be memorized prior to entering first grade.
- A reading tool for children ages 6-10 to expose them to many genres and authors while developing book club discussion skills.
- A writing tool for children ages 6-10 to develop creative thinking and writing skills while safely communicating in an online social media spaces.
The Resources TALSD will develop:
- The leadership of TALSD will build relationships with local government, nonprofits, and for profit businesses which will develop into high performing programs.
- Learning centers like libraries will have programs designed to help guide children to learn how to use the tools, track their usage, encourage them to expand their use according to their interest and abilities and safely save their information so that it is available to them 24/7.
- Distribute rewards to participants who reside in low income households.
- Track results. The results that will measure the success of the tools used by children at home and in the learning center programs.
- Networking. The learning centers act as a network as they share their success stories and their challenges.
Expected additional benefits of a thriving TALSD providing education resources to millions of children
- Healthier and happier communities
- Thousands of internships
- Hundreds of middle class meaningful jobs
- Less juvenile criminal behavior
- Disintegration of the poverty chain
- A stronger America
As the Executive Director of TALSD, I will provide the vision and leadership while recruiting highly competent and self motivated talent who believe that all children need a solid literacy foundation so they have an opportunity to meet their expectations.
Jeff Saint Germain
- Partner - Click here to learn how to support TALSD.
- a. Funds
- b. Other